Safe and Secure Holiday Wishes from The First
by: Keith Hughes, Vice Chairman and CEO
As we enter the holiday season, First National Bank of Hutchinson wishes you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. As you begin your holiday shopping, The First urges you to continue to think about being safe and secure.
A new survey from the National Cyber Security Alliance found that more than a third of holiday gift givers plan to purchase internet-connected devices as gifts this holiday season. However, more than half reported concerns over the security of such devices following the recent distributed denial of service against online platforms like Amazon, Twitter and Reddit. Sixty-two percent of respondents also admitted they were “somewhat confident” to “not confident at all” about these devices’ safety and security and 66 percent are either “not sure” or do not think there is enough information available on how to secure their devices.
According to the press release, consumers are taking more actions to protect themselves by:
- Changing the default password on their device before using it;
- Attempting to understand what personal information the device collects, how it is being used and how it is stored;
- Reading information from the manufacturer about how to keep the device secure over time;
- Keeping mobile apps up to date with the latest software updates; and
- Researching the past history of security/privacy concerns about a device.
For more information on Online Holiday Shopping, link here.
This article adapted from information provided by the American Bankers Association and staysafeonline.org.